4 Reasons Why You Should Be Self Sustainable

On December 24, 2015

farming

It’s easy to think that the infrastructure we’ve built for ourselves will last forever, this safety net of society that will take care of you if things go south. But what if it doesn’t last forever, or what if it does? I would argue that having survival skills and becoming at least somewhat self sustainable is the best option for everyone individually and as a whole. Here’s why:

 

  1. Population Continues To Rise, Our Food Production Does Not.

By 2050 the world is estimated to have 2 billion more people to feed. Not only that, but the world’s palette is becoming more refined. The demand for meat, eggs and dairy are steadily increasing. The average American eats 195 pounds of meat a year compared to 138 pounds in the 1950s and this number is only going to increase as population grows. On a technical level we have enough land to grow food for everyone on earth, but we don’t live in a world where food is evenly distributed. Farms halfway across the world from you might be thriving, but all that means is a higher premium for people who’s local farms either can’t or won’t grow the crops they need to get all of their nutritional needs taken care of. Only 2% of the population grows food for the other 98%, that mean’s 98% of people completely rely on that 2% to keep them from starving to death. We can pretty much guarantee that as long as you have money or power in this world you will most likely be able to afford food, but the upper class is dwindling, and as population grows food and jobs will only become more scarce.

 

2. Most American’s Have No Backup Plan Whatsoever.

62% of Americans have less than $1,000 in savings and 21% have none. The things is though, Americans spend more time working than ever before. More people work outside of home to finish projects, more people have multiple jobs than ever before and more overtime than ever. More members of a household work now, and yet we still have no savings, no plans for the future, nothing. Why? Because they;re tired. Simple as that. You work 40-50 hours a week and no you don’t want to come home and weed the garden or feed the pigs, in fact you don’t even want to cook so you just go buy something from the local Fast Food place and call it a day. You worked hard all week, you earned that money, so you want to spend it on making the free time you do have easier and more enjoyable. That’s understandable, but when you’re relying on your paycheck to help you barely scrape by every week what happens if you lose your job? Or have an unexpected expense? That’s  how you get stuck in the cycle, you don’t have a savings, you don’t have any knowledge or equipment to take care of yourself so you pray every night that you don’t lose your job. There is always welfare if you fall on hard times, but America is already in so much debt who’s going to guarantee that 1) it lasts and 2) it’s even enough to help?

 

3. You Don’t Know What Quality A Mass Produced Product Will Be.

If you want something done right you need to do it yourself. There have been E-coli outbreaks in spinach, chickens stuffed with hormones, juice packed with sweeteners, and pesticides that have unknown or dangerous effects on the body. The truth is unless you are growing your own food you don’t know where its coming from or what they did to it to get it to you. Of course factory farms don’t WANT you to get sick, but they don’t really care either. Their main purpose is to make as much money as possible, they don’t care about your health or taste, they care about whether or not you will continue to buy their products. In this kind of environment corners are cut, things are overlooked, because that’s just what happens when you try to get the largest amount of product produced in the shortest amount of time.

 

4. Doing A Little Is Still Better Than Doing Nothing

Now before you get all excited I’m not telling anyone to quit their job and become Amish farmers. But owning a single chicken can provide eggs for a whole family for years and they take up very little space, plus depending on what breed you get they can be great pets too. Zucchini and potatoes are great staples and they are easy to grow, grow large, and grow relatively quickly.  Instead of spending $1 for a single avocado why not have a tree? You don’t have to dedicate your life to farming to start being more self reliant, just having a backup source of food, or grow/raise just enough livestock and crops to take a little off of your grocery bill.

farm

 

Sources: fao.org, bls.gov, publichealth.org, nationalgeographic.com, abcnews.go.com

 

What are your thoughts/comments? What are you doing to separate from the grid a little?

 

 

Comments are closed.